This is the gear I’ll be using on the Florida Trail. An 8lb base weight, carrying a full tent and a fishing pole! 1,100 miles from Pensacola Florida down south to the Everglades West of Miami. I’ve done this trail before, so maybe interesting to see this list as quite a lot has changed. I’m more aware of how cold it can get as some of my coldest nights ever camping were on the Florida Trail. I know how wet it is, as a lot of the trail is wetlands, or swampland. I’ve done the roadwalks before, I’ve dealt with the bugs, the rain, the heat, exposure… everything. So here’s the culmination of this knowledge!
I could probably carry a heavier jacket, but my quilt is quite warm so it will be fine. I am also hiking with my girlfriend! So while I carry the tent, she carries the stove and fuel. Similar things like that all around. Her base weight is under 7lbs.
Hiking with her is partly why I’ve added some of these things. I won’t be traveling like a bat out of hell down the trail this time, as in 2016 when I last thru hiked it, I set a speed record while doing so. I wanted this trip to be more about comfort in some ways, and having fun. Hence the addition of a fishing rod, where she has a kindle. Or having a full size tent for two. Or wearing a bright orange beanie so a hunter doesn’t shoot me while alone I may not care as much.
I want to at least for our first thru hike together, slow down a little bit and take things in at a more leisurely pace.
2020 Florida Trail Gear List
- 14oz – Backpack – Pa’lante V2
- 17oz – Quilt – Enlightened Equipment Enigma 30*F
- 1oz – Sleeping Pad – GossamerGear Thinlight 1/8″ // Torso length
- 21oz – Tent – Zpacks Duplex
- 1oz – Stakes – Zpacks Carbon Fiber (5) // X Shape (3)
- 0.7oz – Water Bottles – (2) Super Cheap 1L
- 4.8oz – Food Bowl – Snow Peak Ti 700ml
- 1.5oz – Food bag – 20 x 12.5 OPsak
- 0.3oz – Spoon – Plastic // Cut down
- 1.4oz – Socks – Injinji
- 5.9oz – Rain Jacket – Frogg Toggs Ultra lite L
- 1.9oz – Wind Pants – Montbell Tachyon
- 5.8oz – Jacket – KUIU Peloton 97
- 0.3oz – Leukotape – Stuck on wax paper
- 1.3oz – Sun Glasses – Polarized
- 0.8oz – Flashlight – Olight i3S EOS
- 10.3oz – Camera – Nikon Coolpix s9900
- 3oz – Beanie – Carhart // Hunter Orange
- 1.3oz – Gloves – Zpacks Possum Down
- 1oz – Chafe Cream – Squirrel’s Nut Butter
- 0.4oz – Lighter – Mini Bic
- 13oz – External Battery – Ravpower 20,100mAh Qualcomm Quick Charge
- 1.2oz – USB Cords – 4′ / 10″
- 1.2oz – Wall Charger – Qualcomm Dual Port
- 0.4oz – Headphones – Earbuds // Cheap
- 0.2oz – Toothpaste – Travel Sized
- 2g – Toothbrush – Bamboo // Cut down
- 0.3oz – ID, Money, & Credit Card – // In a ziploc
- 0.2oz – Compass – Suunto Tiny Clip On
- 5.3oz – Cell Phone – Google Pixel
- 2.5oz – Fishing Rod – TenkaraBum
- 0.5oz – Fishing Line – Fluoro Carbon
- 0.4oz – Leader – 4.7lb
- 0.6oz – Flies – (30) Kept in small container
Total base weight of pack (the weight without food, water, fuel or worn clothing)
- 8 lbs
Check out this gear… in video form!
2019 Pacific Northwest Trail! Youtube!
2019 Shetowee Trace Trail! Youtube!
2018 Pacific Crest Trail! Youtube!
2016 4,800mi ECT 6lb gear list! Youtube!
(This article contains some Amazon Affiliate links which at no cost to you help support this website)